Join our forum Subscribe to mailing lists
Join a chatroom Join a meeting
Browse the site by category

Residents of Gillard Now Have Electricity

 

Electricity has been made available to some 29 households in the   Gillard community of South West St. Elizabeth.

Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, Hon. Phillip Paulwell, on February 16, officially commissioned the service in the area.

The project, which was undertaken by National Energy Solutions (NESol), saw some 1.6 kilometres of cable being installed at a cost of just under $7 million.

Addressing the ceremony, Mr. Paulwell said the provision of electricity in the Gillard community was the 137th such project undertaken across Jamaica since 2011.

He informed that Jamaica now has just under 98 per cent electricity coverage and efforts are being made to ensure that the remaining 2 per cent receives the supply in short order.

“The 2 per cent that now remain is the most difficult. We are talking about areas that are very far away from the grid, and areas that will cost a lot of money,” the Minister said.

He explained that in an effort to ensure that the entire country receives electricity, wind, sun and water sources will be used to generate energy.

The Minister said the electricity rate is now US18 cents per kilowatt hour, down from US42 cents, which represents significant savings for consumers, and is the result of the policies of the Government and a drop in oil prices on the world market.

He pointed out that the transformation of the energy sector in Jamaica is in high gear, with the 340-megawatt wind farm by BMR Limited in Malvern, St. Elizabeth, moving apace, while in South Manchester, the Wigton Wind Farm is being expanded to bring it to a capacity of 60 megawatts.

He added that in Clarendon, the single largest solar energy generating plant in the Caribbean is being constructed. That plant will produce 20 megawatts of electricity.

The Minister said the process through which energy is generated in Jamaica is being changed quickly, using the natural resources of the country.

“We have to change the way we produce energy in Jamaica. We have to make sure that we use what God has given us – the sun, the wind and the rivers – to bring electricity to our people,” he said.

Source: http://jis.gov.jm/residents-of-gillard-now-have-electricity/



Category/ies:Anguilla News, Jamaica News, News, Renewable Energy, Solar Energy.
RSS: RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.




View My Stats