St Vincent and the Grenadines

Welcome

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) lies between Saint Lucia and Grenada in the Windward Islands of the Lesser Antilles, an island arc of the Caribbean Sea. The islands of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines include the main island of Saint Vincent and seven smaller inhabited islands with about 30 uninhabited islets and cays stretching south from Saint Vincent to Grenada. Together, the islands occupy a total landmass of 388 km2/150 sq. mi.

 

SVG is heavily dependent on imported petroleum products for electricity generation, transportation, cooking, and other energy requirements. SVG has an energy mix with more than 96% petroleum base and about 3% hydro power. All islands except Saint Vincent depend entirely on diesel generation for their electricity supply. On main island Saint Vincent only, 80% of the electricity is produced from diesel generation and the remaining 20% by small hydro generation.

 

St. Vincent Electricity Services Limited (VINLEC) is a State-owned utility and is the sole provider of electricity to the main island Saint Vincent, and the Grenadines islands of Bequia, Union Island, Canouan, and Mayreau. The company operates diesel and small hydro power stations on mainland Saint Vincent, while the Bequia, Union Island, Canouan and Mayreau islands are completely reliant on diesel powered systems. The other Grenadines islands are supplied by privately owned electricity systems on the basis of diesel plants.

 

The Energy Sector

The Prime Minister’s Office is currently the Ministry of Energy and has overall responsibilities for the energy sector in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

 

A National Energy Committee, comprising of stakeholders from other ministries and state-dependent institutions, was setup in 2006 to advise the Government on energy matters throughout the State.

 

In 2008, an Energy Unit was established in the Prime Minister’s Office with a mandate to assist with the formulation and implementation of energy policy issues, particularly in the areas of renewable energy and energy efficiency.

 

St. Vincent Electricity Services Limited (VINLEC) is the state-owned utility company with an exclusive license to provide a public electricity supply in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The company operates diesel and small hydro power stations on mainland Saint Vincent, while the Bequia, Union Island, Canouan and Mayreau islands are completely reliant on diesel powered systems. The other Grenadines islands are supplied by privately owned electricity systems on the basis of diesel plants.

 

A National Energy Policy has been approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Government of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The guiding principles upon which this policy was prepared include, inter alia, strengthening the national economy by reducing the dependence on import of fossil fuels, stabilizing and possibly reducing the energy consumption per capita in the medium and long term, and reducing the dependence on import of energy through continued and expanded exploitation of indigenous resources and improvement of energy efficiency and/or conservation of energy use.

 

The Government in collaboration with the state-owned utility VINLEC is in the process of exploring the development of geothermal, wind, solar and additional hydro power resources. The Government, through the Energy Unit in the Prime Minister’s Office, is also formulating plans to enhance energy-efficiency in all of its buildings and public institutions.

 

Some Achievements

  • -National Energy Policy
  • -National Energy Action Plan (Sustainable Energy Plan)
  • -Installation of Solar Photovoltaic Systems on Government Buildings
  • -Geothermal MoU with private developer
  • -Energy Efficiency Study of Public (Government) Buildings
  • -Feasibility Study for the Upgrade of Richmond & South Rivers Power Stations


CIPORE Focal Point Office

Energy Unit,
Office of the Prime Minister,
Administrative Centre,
Bay Street,
Kingstown,
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Office: (784) 450-0369
Direct: (784) 451-2338
Email:  energyunit@vincysurf.com or support@cipore.org

Fast Facts

  • Capital: Kingstown
  • Official Languages: English
  • Demonym: Vincentian
  • Government: Parliamentary democracy and Federal constitutional monarchy
  • Independence: 27 October 1979
  • Area: 389 km2/150 sq mi
  • Population:120,000 (est. 2008)
  • Currency: East Caribbean dollar

RE Snapshot

  • RE Interests: Hydropower, geothermal, solar, wind, biomass
  • RE Target: NYA
  • Utility Company: St. Vincent Electricity Services (VINLEC)
  • RE in Grid Supply: Hydropower-
  • Energy Institutions:
    Office of the Prime Minister (Ministry of Energy), National Energy Committee, Energy Unit, Prime Minister’s Office, VINLEC.

Green Energy Calculators

Check out your energy alternatives using our convenient calcluators. Select a calculator from the list provided below.




View My Stats