Join our forum Subscribe to mailing lists
Join a chatroom Join a meeting
Browse the site by category

Do You Have An Innovation for Export? Enter Your Concept for $30,000 USD in Grant Funding

TCC and USAID To Fund Innovative Ideas || Deadline: February 28, 2013

 

Collaborate to Prosper Project

Made Possible with the Support of the American People and The Competitiveness Company

 

An Overview of Innovation for Exports

 

Background

The project Collaborate to Prosper was designed by The Competitiveness Company in response to a 2010 Call for Proposals by USAID, for projects geared towards economic growth. This project is a microenterprise development programme to enable Jamaican entrepreneurs in two existing product segments (Ornamental Fish and Specialty Crops) and one potential service segment (Innovations for Exports) to become globally competitive and profitable.

Exports are an important and strategic component of Jamaica’s plan to be competitive in the global economy. According to the Global Competitiveness Index 2011, Jamaica, ranked 107 overall, is ranked 84th in the world for innovation and sophistication.

 

The Objective

In Jamaica there is a large cohort of persons, in particular well-educated young people, for whom securing a job has proven challenging, locally and internationally. This component of the programme provides an opportunity for these persons to develop and refine their own innovative ideas into entrepreneurial ventures. The grants contemplated here are intended to support innovative products and services that have prospects for commercialization and show potential for exports.

 

Eligibility Criteria

  • Innovation for Exports is open to Jamaican citizens residing in Jamaica
  • The prospective grantee should be 18 years or older
  • It must demonstrate export potential
  • It must be eligible for Intellectual Property protection)
  • Demonstrate uniqueness and/or creativity (i.e. It doesn’t already exist)

 

Procedure to Apply

There are three easy steps to be followed in applying for a grant. They are as follows:

 

 

Elements of the Concept Note

  • Brief description of the innovation
  • State why the innovation is considered unique
  • State whether the Intellectual Property (IP) has been registered, or can be registered.
  • Potential international demand for the innovation
  • State the risks associated with the innovation
  • Amount of funding required to take the innovation to market
  • The cost associated with each stage of development of the innovation
  • An industry analysis for the innovation
  • State the commercialization prospects of the innovation.
  • Describe the applicant’s capability and experience which would allow her/him to develop this innovation.

 

Grant Allocation

The grant amount will cover 80% of the cost of the innovation. The remaining 20% will have to be contributed by the applicant in the form of cash or kind. The maximum amount to be granted for any one project will, normally, be US$30,000 or its equivalent in Jamaican dollars.

 

Submission

Concept Notes must not exceed 15 pages (inclusive of all attachments). Candidates must use Times New Roman Font, size 12 and 1.5 spacing. Candidates are encouraged to use pictures, diagrams, tables and graphs where appropriate. All concept notes can either be e-mailed to info@thecompetitivenesscompany.com or mailed to 59 Hope Road, Kingston 6 c/o “Programme Director, Innovation For Exports, The Competitiveness Company”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Category/ies:Jamaica News, Request for Proposals.
RSS: RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.




View My Stats